[c-nsp] ldp: label not assigned for eBGP-learned route..

Alexandre Snarskii snar at paranoia.ru
Sat Jun 9 11:06:51 EDT 2007

Hi!

While testing interAS mpls connectivity, I found interesting
feature: router does not assign local label to route, learned
via eBGP, even in case when got it with label...

A bit more detailed description:
I'm getting route with label,

BGP routing table entry for AA.AAA.AA.5/32, version 5022
    BB.BBB.B.49 from BB.BBB.B.49 (BB.BBB.B.6)
      Origin IGP, metric 0, localpref 100, valid, external, best
      Community: no-export
      mpls labels in/out nolabel/101824

and it's installed into mpls forwarding table with outgoing label:

Router>show mpls forwarding-table AA.AAA.AA.5
Local  Outgoing      Prefix            Bytes Label   Outgoing   Next Hop
Label  Label or VC   or Tunnel Id      Switched      interface
None   101824        AA.AAA.AA.5/32    0             Vl99       BB.BBB.B.49

But, as you can see, Local Label is not assigned to this route,
so, even if that route redistributed with iBGP over my backbone,
label for this route is not assigned at the edge, so, all other
routers will not be able to establish LSP to remote side...

Well, one workaround to this is to redistribute this route to ospf
(this route get label assigned right after enabling bgp->ospf
redistribution), but that workaround is potentially dangerous[1].

Are there any way to force local label assignment to eBGP-learned
route without redistribution ?

PS: IOS version is 12.2(33)SRA3, if it matters.

[1]: Some years ago I saw a network meltdown caused by
'no redistribute bgp NNNN route-map BLAH', which removed not
'redistribute' command, but just 'route-map', thus allowing
full-view leak into ospf.. With modern IOS behaviour (disable
dCEF when there are not enough memory) such leaks are even more
dangerous...