[c-nsp] Crypto and CEF

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Tue Jun 12 09:09:07 EDT 2007

On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 04:40:47PM +0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2007, Rikard Stemland Skjelsvik wrote:
>
> > Actually we route to the LAN in the other end out the WAN interface
> > ip route x.x.x.x 255.255.255.192 FastEthernet0
>
> Why do you do this rather than routing to an IP address on the other
> end of the WAN interface?

There are a couple of scenarios where recursive satics can be used.
ie: track a path that is dynamically learned

For pointing at the interface ip unnumbered usage is the most common.

But you are right on the money. Unless you have a realy point to
point media (serial, pvc, tunnel, etc.) you should never leave the
next hop out of the static route. If you want to tie it to the interface
put the interface *AND* next hop in there.

Rodney