[c-nsp] upgrading IOS on a 2610xm question

Skeeve Stevens skeeve at skeeve.org
Tue Jun 12 13:38:55 EDT 2007

When you say serial, I assume you mean console?

Could you not do a xmodem upload using console?

From:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_
note09186a008015bfac.shtml

Here is an example of the xmodem command issued on a Cisco 2620 Router:

    rommon 1 >xmodem -?
    xmodem: illegal option -- ?
    usage: xmodem [-cyrx] <destination filename>
    -c  CRC-16
    -y  ymodem-batch protocol
    -r  copy image to dram for launch
    -x  do not launch on download completion

Examples

    rommon 12 > xmodem -cfs115200 c1600-sy-mz.121-16.bin
    rommon 2 > xmodem -c c2600-is-mz.122-10a.bin

Notes:
    * The xmodem transfer only works on the console port. You can only
download files to the router. You cannot use xmodem to get files from the
router.

    * It is also important to note that the -sdata-rate option is only
available on the Cisco 1600 Series Routers and was implemented to overcome
the console baud rate limitation of 9600 bps. If you specify -sdata-rate of
115200 bps for example, you can increase the download rate and hence, reduce
download time. Other Cisco routers support console speeds up to 115200 bps.
Therefore, the -sdata-rate option is not required.

    * Ensure that the PC serial port is using a 16550 universal asynchronous
transmitter/receiver (UART) if you are downloading a Cisco IOS software
image through the router's console speed at 115200. If the PC serial port is
not using a 16550 UART, it is recommended that you use a speed of 38,400 or
lower.

...Skeeve