[c-nsp] Using DFC cards on a L2 6500/7600 system

Tassos Chatzithomaoglou achatz at forthnet.gr
Fri Jun 15 14:09:42 EDT 2007

Sorry Tim, but more questions came up now...

7600-ES20 datasheets say something about 80.000 mac addresses per ES card.

What is the catch here? How can the SUP720 know n * 80k addresses when it only supports 64k?
Does it refer to mac addresses belonging to per card locally configured vlans only?

Also, on a system with DFC modules "sh mac-address-table count" shows only the macs "known" by the SUP720.

7609#sh mac-address-table count
MAC Entries  for all vlans :
Dynamic Address Count:                71
Static Address (User-defined) Count:  113
Total MAC Addresses In Use:           184
Total MAC Addresses Available:        65536

DFC module
----------
7609#sh mac-address-table count mod 1
MAC Entries for module 1 :
Dynamic Address Count:                2031
Static Address (User-defined) Count:  113
Total MAC Addresses In Use:           2144
Total MAC Addresses Available:        65536

DFC module
----------
7609#sh mac-address-table count mod 2
MAC Entries for module 2 :
Dynamic Address Count:                1697
Static Address (User-defined) Count:  113
Total MAC Addresses In Use:           1810
Total MAC Addresses Available:        65536

SUP720 (same as the 1st one)
---------------------------
7609#sh mac-address-table count mod 6
MAC Entries for module 6 :
Dynamic Address Count:                71
Static Address (User-defined) Count:  113
Total MAC Addresses In Use:           184
Total MAC Addresses Available:        65536

I guess that's because mac sync between DFC & PFC is disabled by default (SXF8). Any reason to keep it disabled?
http://www.ciscotaccc.com/kaidara-advisor/lanswitching/showcase?case=K63315572 says it's better to enable it, but why isn't is so
by default (besides X6708-10GE)?
Also "mac-address-table synchronize" doesn't seem to provide any option for (dis)activation per DFC module.
So if i have a vlan used only locally in a DFC module, can i keep the sync disabled in that module in order to save some mac space?

Regards,
Tassos