[c-nsp] IS-IS Emergency

Robert Boyle robert at tellurian.com
Wed Jun 20 15:05:27 EDT 2007

At 02:40 PM 6/20/2007, you wrote:
>That brings up a related question.  Does anyone have any recommendations
>for using the overload-bit with a startup delay or BGP hold?  We set it
>to 5 minutes on boot.  I figure that's just enough time for the BGP to
>settle down.  These 720-3BXLs are in an iBGP mesh with both border
>routers and get a full Internet table from both.  The RIB Update and BGP
>Scanner processes don't usually settle down for 3-4 minutes.  Should I
>set a hard timeframe or should I just set it up to wait for BGP?

This is what we use on our Cisco & Foundry core network. This is
obviously a Cisco config snippet.

router isis
  net xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  is-type level-2-only
  domain-password xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  metric-style wide
  ip fast-convergence
  set-overload-bit on-startup wait-for-bgp
  max-lsp-lifetime 65535
  lsp-refresh-interval 65000
  no hello padding
  log-adjacency-changes
  passive-interface Loopback0
  maximum-paths 6

It works very well and we don't have any issues.

-Robert

Tellurian Networks - Global Hosting Solutions Since 1995
http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Well done is better than well said." - Benjamin Franklin