[c-nsp] Reasons *not* terminate PPPoE on 7500

Kurt Bales kwbales at kwbales.net
Wed Jun 20 21:16:59 EDT 2007

Hey Guys,

We are currently redesigning our network from DHCP assigned customers, to
using PPPoE. Each "island" currently has an 1811 acting as the wan router,
joining back into our datacenter in Sydney. We have advised those with the
cheque books that to replace the 1811's and so forth, we will need a 7200 +
3550 to terminate VLANs, perform QoS and terminate PPPoE (currently we have
no vlans/qos/pppoe). Mr Moneyman wasn't "happy" with this, but understood
that its somewhat inevitable.

Now here's the problem. In one of our larger networks (5 towers backhauled
in a ring using Redline AN-50es and routed OSPF, with an 1811, and 1 of
those 1811's feeding into the WAN), we have a 7507(RSP4+, 2x VIP-2/50's and
2xPA2FE) that used to be the company border router before we shifted the
core to a datacentre in Sydney. This router now does nothing.

In the past, the bosses have said "Surely the 7500 can do PPPoE", and
wouldn't really listen when I tried to explain that its not designed to do
that. I know that on several occasions Rodney has stated emphatically that
you should not use 7500's for PPPoE. If I remember correctly its something
to do with the distributed architecture of the 7500 series.

What I would like is a somewhat clear and medium-detailed reason to give the
bosses as to why they should be buying 7200's when we already have a 7500
here. Oh... And my current answer of "Just trust me!" didn't cut it last
time ;)

Kurt Bales
kwbales at kwbales.net

"When we let freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every
hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that
day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles,
Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words
of that old Negro spiritual, "Free at last! Free at last! Thank God
almighty, we are free at last!" - Martin Luther King