[c-nsp] 10Gigabit or other options for 12000 ?

vince anton mvanton at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 13:30:34 EDT 2007

Hi All,

thanks to all who replied so far - to put this a little more into
perspective, the GSR does a internet transit link to an upstream, and then
links to the 7600 at the core.  Im looking at upping the upstream beyond 1G,
so of course the other interfaces need to handle this too.

So, since the card that is currently in the GSR is a 4xGE ISE Engine 3 card,
then I can either do:

2 x GE to the 7600 core
2 x GE to the upstream

That would be fine since Im looking at around moving to 2Gbps.
But of course I'd need another card, since they max out at 2.5Gbps

OR

> Other than that it looks like the other option would be POS based - which
> > may be OK for the WAN, but what about the LAN connections in the core
> > currently based on 7606-SUP720-3BXL - doest really make sense doing POS
> > across the room to link 12k to 7600 ?
>
> No, POS doesn't make sense.

POS would make no sense to the 7600 core, but what about from GSR to the
upstream ?

An OC-48 Engine3 card will give me around 2.4Gbps, so then I can use the
current 4GE card with n x GE to the 7600 core, giving me sufficient (2.5Gbps)
capacity right through.

either way it requires purchase of POS or 4GE ISE linecard.  10G looks like
overkill for the current asking price.

Anyone seeing flaws in this ?

cheers

anton