[c-nsp] 10Gigabit or other options for 12000 ?

vince anton mvanton at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 01:47:37 EDT 2007

Hi,

> On 21/06/07, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, vince anton wrote:
>
>     > That would be fine since Im looking at around moving to 2Gbps.
>     > But of course I'd need another card, since they max out at 2.5Gbps
>
>     If you want to do OC48 to your upstream, buy an OC48 linecard for the
7600
>     and skip the GSR altogether. In your application I don't really see
why
>     you need it anyhow?

and

> On 21/06/07, Kevin Graham <mahargk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     On 6/21/07, vince anton <mvanton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     > thanks to all who replied so far - to put this a little more into
>     > perspective, the GSR does a internet transit link to an upstream,
and then
>     > links to the 7600 at the core.  Im looking at upping the upstream
beyond 1G,
>     > so of course the other interfaces need to handle this too.
>
>     If that's the extent of it, why not just rip out the GSR and focus the
>     upgrades on the 7600?

This GSR and couple of other routers do internet transit and peering, and
are dual connected to the 2 x 7600 at the core.  a bunch of access/customer
routers at the other end are also dual-connected to the the 7600s.  thats
the reason for keeping a separate router to terminate the 2Gbps link in
question.   ie:

3 x TRANSIT/PEERING ROUTERS-----2 x 7606-----n x
ACCESS_ROUTERS-----CUSTOMERS

However while looking at pricing options, the 'POS OC48 Engine 3 card' for
the GSR, specifically  'OC48X/POS-LR-SC'  comes at a list price of USD
99,000

Interestingly thats more $$$ than a 7606 chassis with SUP720-3BXL, dual PSU,
6704-10GE linecard and optics.

Now I understand that Engine 3 on GSR has some more features than 'plain'
ports on the 7600, but such a high price for the GSR card is beyond my
understanding.

It almost makes more sense purchasing an entire 7600 system and get 10GB
ethernet, rather than one card for the GSR for the same money!!

Anyone care to point out what I'm missing here ?

Thanks

anton