[c-nsp] advice for L2 switches

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 01:51:58 EDT 2007

Kevin Blackham wrote:
> Did I mention this is spread out over 20,000 square feet?   I'll have to
> do some math on huge wads of non-reusable cable.  I had avoided the
> big-and-dense option due to that hassle.

Would it be possible to locate the switches in two central locations?
That way, all you would need would be one or two (preferably gigabit)
fiber trunks connecting the two switches together, and you would run a
metric buttload of Cat 5e out in a star configuration from each of the
switches.  You might end up with one or two places where you need ports
that are too far from the nearest switch, but for those exceptions,
there would be nothing to stop you from running fiber out to those points.

There has to be a way to make it work.  It would get you down about an
order of magnitude in cost.  We're only talking about one day.

Peace...  Sridhar