[c-nsp] advice for L2 switches

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sat Jun 23 04:06:26 EDT 2007

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007, Kevin Blackham wrote:

> We're promoting a one day event that requires around 500 FE access ports.  I
> need to filter at layer 4 (block DHCP serving) and perform some QoS duties

Sounds like a classical lan-party setup. I've done this but with 4500
ports.

People do this with cheap switches from dlink, zyxel, linksys etc.

Centrally placed cisco 6500 (borrowed or rented) or equivalent with a lot
of copper ports, single CAT5 from that to whereever fan-out is needed and
place cheap 24 port switch there. Do management on one vlan, do /26 for
the participants on another. Don't bother with DHCP protection and other
stuff in the fanout switches, they'll only break the other 23 participants
and it's fairly easy to faultfind.

So, in short, get cheap simple fan-out switch, do intelligence
centrally.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se