[c-nsp] 10G options for 7600s

Peter Salanki peter.salanki at bahnhof.net
Sun Jun 24 07:46:49 EDT 2007

Just as Mikael said, the WS-X6704  and X6708 are LAN cards. The WS-
X6704 has 12.8ms/port buffer if I do my math right (anyone please
correct me if I don't), and the WS-X6708 has a 160ms/port buffer.
This alone could be a reason to go with the X6708. The LAN cards
doesn't support advanced QoS features such as HQoS, MQC Shaping,
CBWFQ and so on. This is probably nothing you want to do in the core
anyway. They have a couple of output queues and one strict priority
queue, so doing simple VoIP prioritization and IPTV quality assurance
is possible.

The WS-X6708-10G will be supported from 12.2(33)SRC.

If you are using VPLS, LAN cards on VPLS terminating boxes is a no-
go. If you want local switching on EoMPLS (doing xconnect on a vlan
interface), LAN cards against the core is also a no-go.

I know of many successful triple-play deployments with LAN cards in
the core, you just have to know their limitations and build your
network according to that.

Datasheet: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/
products_data_sheet09186a00801dce34.html

Sincerely

Peter Salanki
CTO
Bahnhof AB (AS8473)