[c-nsp] Cisco IOS versions that support switchport?

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Tue Jun 26 21:09:02 EDT 2007

Hank Nussbacher wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jun 2007, Pelle wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 11:16:39PM +0300, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
>>

>>> Where can I find a Cisco page that shows which IOS versions that
>>> support switchport capability (specifically for 871, 1841, 2501, 2514
>>> and 2610)?
>>>
>> 871:  yes for the LAN-ports, no for the WAN port
>> 1841: yes, if equipped with a EtherSwitch-module, e.g. WIC-4ESW or
>>      HWIC-4ESW
>> 25xx: no
>> 2610: maybe, if equipped with the EtherSwitch-module WIC-4ESW and it's
>>      supported (don't know that)
>>
>> in general, all (H)WIC's which are branded as "Ethernet Switching
>> module" does "switchport". in addition the routers in the 87x series and
>> 180x is shipped with this module integrated.
>>

> Thanks!  That helped a lot.  Too bad there is no Cisco page which details
> all router models and their support of switchport as you did above

Well, there is, but you need to look at the *module* not at the routers.
None of the routers mentioned without some kind of switch module (built
in or otherwise) will have a "switchport" command. Your current router
that you think doesn't have it will magically get it when the right card
is present. It's not a software thing.

~Seth