[c-nsp] WCCP MASK assignment

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Thu Mar 1 07:40:30 EST 2007

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007, Mark Pace Balzan wrote:

> Hi
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction for some details on how the
> WCCP MASK distribution algorithm functions for distributing traffic to
> web caches/proxies.  Ive got the draft wccp spec but Im looking for a
> more practical explanation.

There's a set of slides somewhere from the Cisco content services group which
has a reasonably clear explanation of the logic behind it all.
Maybe someone knows where it is.

In essence (and ltd can correct me): there's two parts - you define a mask
of the IP/protocol header which defines the bits you care about, then
a list of matches which match against the bits you've said matter
and a target to redirect matched traffic to.

So you can pretty much build redirections based on almost anything in
the header. Quite a nifty idea.

(There's limitations on the number of masks and mask values you can
define per-platform too.)

Adrian