[c-nsp] multilink using fastpath or CEF

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Thu Mar 1 15:28:56 EST 2007

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 05:38:50PM +0000, A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk wrote:
> hi,
>
> I was just wondering if anyone knew off-hand which IOS release
> for the 2600 series routers moved multilink handling from interupt
> level to fastpath or CEF processing.

I assume you meant moved it out of the process switching path and in t
the interrupt (fastswitching or CEF) path.

  currently I'm seeing a system
> with many dropped input packets on a multilink interface -

Drops on the input interface means you are not CEF switching
out another egress interface. Unless the packets are being punted
for some other reason (ie: packet destined to the device itself for
example).

 believe
> it to be due to large numbers of small packets as the interface is
> well under maximum data rate and the processor is a little loaded with
> lots of things we shouldnt really be doing on a 2651XM ;-)

Sounds like you have a lot of punted packets due to something besides
MLPPP to me.

We'd need the config and a dump of a packet or two off the input
queue: sh buffers input-interface multilink X packet.

If you don't want to show the packet just do the header option.