[c-nsp] getting a 1721 to boot a new image

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Thu Mar 1 21:52:55 EST 2007

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Ed Ravin wrote:

>> WTH was it set to?  That was the first thing I thought of, but according
>> to cisco docs on config-register, I couldn't see a setting that would
>> ignore your boot statements without ignoring the entire config, which
>> would have made it more obviously a config-register issue.
>
> It was set to 0x101.
>
> I looked over a Cisco doc page on config-register - if I read it
> correctly, the router shouldn't have been booting at all with that
> value, it should have stopped at the hardware prompt.  Perhaps
> the 1700 series interprets some of the bits differently?

I can't find the table I was looking at before, and this one is from 3600
series docs, but this one makes it pretty clear that 1 in the boot field
means boot the first image found in flash, which is, I think, what you
were seeing.

http://cio.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a008007de4c.html#13981