[c-nsp] Problems with bandwidth on interface tunnel

Church, Charles cchurch at multimax.com
Sat Mar 3 18:24:01 EST 2007

>Thanks for advice, I was already thinking about it, but I wasn´t sure
>if  this is limitation of interface tunnel or something else. But now I
>tested with lowering bandwidth parameters, and if I do limit on 6Mbps
>that exactly what I get. So I presume that 8Mbps is the upper limit for
>bandwidth on interface tunnel and also default setting.

>br saso

Sasa,

	According to:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00801a7ea2.html#wp1161607

That 'transmit bandwidth' command can set a cap on how much data can be sent into a tunnel.  It defaults to 8 mbit, but that probably is close to what the router can do in software.  When you were getting the 8 mbit transfer rate, were the router CPUs running close to 100%?  You've got drops on the tunnel interfaces, but I'm guessing not on the physical interfaces.  The output drops on the tunnel interface are probably a result of running out of CPU on the router.  At least it probably is when the transmit bandwidth was set to 40 mbit.  I'd try just plain IPSec, see if that improves things.

Chuck