[c-nsp] (overbooked) SPAN on 3750

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Mar 5 09:37:24 EST 2007

Hi,

I'm searching for an architecture document regarding SPAN on 3750s - that
is, specifically, for an answer to the question "what happens if I
oversubscribe the SPAN port on a stack of 3750?".

I could imagine a couple of answers

 - the SPAN port will drop everything that's above the interface's
   capacity, and the remaining switch (stack) will not be affected
   [this is the answer I am hoping for]

 - there will be higher CPU load, but otherwise packet handling will
   be unaffected [well, still ok with me]

 - packet forwarding for other ports will be affected (head-of-line
   blocking, internal bus saturation, ...) [baaad].

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de