[c-nsp] slow convergence for full bgp table on a Cisco 7613/SUP720-3BXL

Ryan Harden hardenrm at uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 13 09:14:27 EST 2007

I have two suggestions as we saw a similar issue when moving from
Foundry BI-4000s to 6500s. Your results may vary.

1. Try issuing 'hold-queue 2000 in' on each peer interface. I believe
the default is 70. We did this at the suggestion of TAC. I'm not sure
how much it helped but it seemed to reduce the number of discards we
were seeing on the peering interfaces and might have sped up convergence
a bit.

2. Make sure you're not running the Modular version of IOS. Our 6506s
came with -vz onboard and we figured we'd try it out. After a week of
CPU >50% and 30-45 minutes to converge each BGP peer, we went back to
-mz. CPU dropped to ~15% and we converge in 2-3 minutes now.

/Ryan