[c-nsp] 6509 w/WS-X6K-S2-MSFC2 vs 72xx/NPE-G2

Robert Boyle robert at tellurian.com
Tue Mar 13 20:55:39 EST 2007

At 03:41 PM 3/13/2007, Justin M. Streiner wrote:
>How many full BGP feeds would you be handling?  One of the big limitations
>of the Sup2s that drove many people to upgrade to the Sup720/3BXLs was the
>maximum size of the TCAM table in the Sup2.  With a full BGP feed floating
>around 200k routes, this is definitely a concern.  I need to look up the
>table size, but I could see that being a show-stopper for you.

If you turn off uRPF, then you can get ~240k IPv4 routes. If you
leave it enabled, you can only get 140k IPv4 routes.

>If you opt for the 720, don't forget that you need a Fan Tray 2 and you
>may need to upgrade to the 3000W power supplies if you haven't already.
>That upgrade may require pulling 208V/20A or 30A circuits to feed the
>supplies.

Like you said, it may be required. With the CAC-2500W power supplies
running on 120V, you can power a Sup720-3BXL and FAN2 and 3-4 low
power cards. If you plan to have redundant Sups, then you must have
208V or you will be over your power budget for the de-rated 1250W
supply rating.

-Robert

Tellurian Networks - Global Hosting Solutions Since 1995
http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Well done is better than well said." - Benjamin Franklin