[c-nsp] TCAM refresher

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed Mar 14 09:11:23 EST 2007

Someone I know is considering upgrading the core network device in their
data center to a 6500/Sup2/MSFC2.  They take three full BGP feeds from
their transit providers.  My initial caution to them about going with the
Sup2 instead of a Sup720/3BXL was that the Sup2 is limited to about 250k
TCAM entries assuming they're not running uRPF.  Given the size of a full
Internet routing table these days, that allows them a little bit of
headroom, but not much, plus this doesn't take into account their existing
access-lists, policies, local routes, multicast, Netflow, NAT, etc...
That said, it would seem that a Sup2 would work for now, but it won't be
very long before it would need to be upgraded, i.e. they'd be better off
going with the 720/3BXL straight out of the gate.

IIRC, if the TCAM table fills up, certain operations will either 1. fail,
or 2. be handled in software, with the associated performance penalties.
Am I correct in saying this?

Also, how much TCAM headroom should be allowed for things like significant
routing topology changes, i.e. adding a new BGP neighbor, general routing
table churn, etc?

Thanks
jms