[c-nsp] TCAM refresher

Tony Li tli at cisco.com
Sat Mar 17 12:31:26 EST 2007

On Mar 17, 2007, at 5:45 PM, Chris Woodfield wrote:

> Tony, which type of aggregation did you benchmark - adjacent prefix
> aggregation (x.0/30 + x.4/30 = x.0/29), or overlapping prefix removal
> (x.0/24 + x.128/25 = x.0/24)? If both, which one seemed "easier" to
> do? Do you recall what sort of FIB size savings were realized?

Chris,

We did both of those, plus several other variants.  None of them is
particularly hard by itself, but being sure to track changes if one
of the involved prefixes was definitely painful.  Note that I really
can't take credit for this as other good folks did the
implementation.  I'm not sure that they're looking for fame, glory
and the concomitant spam, so I'll avoid mentioning them by name.
I'll just say they took a nasty problem and did a great job.

For realistic situations, we would see a typical case improvement of
about 30% of the size of the table.  Worst case was about 10%, best
case was about 45%.  The dominant factor in the variance was the
diversity of next hops that a particular box used.

Tony