[c-nsp] Arp Input Process Causing Spike in CPU

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sun Mar 18 07:34:54 EST 2007

Rodney Dunn wrote:
> From 2500 to 5k?
>
> How much time was between those captures?

Ha! Sorry for the confusion - that output is from 3 different routers
(notice the hostnames in the prompts). I was trying to indicate that I
have several boxes with large ARP tables.

> I always recommend folks do "term exec prompt time" when
> getting outputs from Cisco boxes.
>
> If you have that many arp entries it's pretty likely you may
> see some input queue drops if you don't bump the input queue depth
> up.
>
> And check the arp socket queue in 'sh ip traffic':

That's useful to know, but not applicable here ;o)

Thanks for tip though. For general interest, one of the busier boxes