[c-nsp] Changing OSPF from single area to multiple areas

Primoz Jeroncic jp at softnet.si
Mon Mar 19 05:15:43 EST 2007

Hi everyone

I just need short sanity check before I make something really stupid :)
Currently there's network which was growing from small one to "a bit"
bigger one. On begining all OSPF was in area 100, and noone was
bothering with this. Now things started to get complicated and especially
too big for single area. Yes I know it should be done correctly before,
but unfortunately I can't make little trip into past to change it.

Since network is pretty much star design with backbone in middle and
parts of network going out from center, I was thinking to start changing
this from middle. Now my question is, is it possible to change it in
few steps?
I was thinking to change backbone (center of network) to area 0, and
for first few days leave other parts of network intact, that means
on area 100. Would this work or would there be problem if networks on
side of backbone would all be in same area? Basically network after
initial change would look like this (just that there would be more
then just Network A and B on outside perimeter):

Network A (area 100) --- Backbone (area 0) --- Network B (area 100)

Of course Network A and Network B should be visible for each other.

So would something like this work?

Thanks for help.

Have fun,
Primoz Jeroncic
Support - IP Connectivity & Routing
Softnet d.o.o.  tel:  +386 1 562 31 40   |
Borovec 2       fax:  +386 1 562 18 55   |       1 + 1 = 3
1236 Trzin      primoz(at)softnet.si     | for larger values of 1
Slovenija       http://flea.softnet.si/