[c-nsp] ATM Interface - 3640 to 3845

Tomasz Baczynski bul at wp-sa.pl
Mon Mar 19 12:30:23 EST 2007

> Hi there...

> We are working with a client right now that wants to upgrade from 3640 to a
> 3845 router.  They are asking if their existing "1A-OC3SMI" card will work
> in the 3845 and they believe it will.  I can't find any confirmation on
> Cisco's site whether or not it will work?

> Does anyone know for sure or do they need a new card?

compatibility matrix for NM-1A-OC3SMI you can find here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_data_sheet09186a0080091b88.html

for 38xx you need NM-1A-OC3-POM
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_data_sheet0900aecd80300024.html

and FAQ:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_qanda_item0900aecd80300030.shtml

[...]
Q. How do the Cisco 2691, 3600 Series and 3700 Series Network Modules
(product ID's: NM-1A-OC3MM, NM-1A-OC3SMI, NM-1A-OC3SML,
NM-1A-OC3MM-EP, NM-1A-OC3SMI-EP, and NM-1A-OC3SML-EP) differ from the
Cisco 3800 Series NM-1A-OC3-POM?
A. Based on a completely different design, the new network module uses
innovative technology to deliver greater flexibility and much better
performance than the traditional OC-3 network modules. The new module
incorporates Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP) optics, which could be
used with different types of POMs and SFPs to allow for maximum
flexibility. Refer to the next question for more details about POMs
and SFPs. Basically the new network module, which supports a modular
POM or SFP, replaces six different network modules. The older network
modules will not be supported on the Cisco 3800 platforms.
[...]