[c-nsp] 12.2S

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Wed Mar 21 09:22:10 EST 2007

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 08:58:04AM -0500, Jon Lewis wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, Rodney Dunn wrote:
>
> > If you want 12.2S features on a 72xx you should be running one of
> > the later 12.2(28)SB or 12.2(31)SB child branches.
>
> Does this go for 12.2(18)S12 as well?

I'm talking from a moving forward perspective. I know and understand
all the caveats from going to later code but also understand that folks
need to understand the future direction.

Those older 12.2S mainline throttles were just as work was being
done pre and post CEF improvements. That is why you saw 12.2(18)S and
12.2(20)S hang around so long.

12.2(25)S was the first cut to go on CCO after those changes and not
all of the hardware forwarding platforms were ready with the new changes
to ship.

The 65xx branced to 12.2(18)SX (pre CEF changes) and then picked the
changes up in 12.2(33)SR.

The only limbo problem that we ended up wit was the fact that we released
the 75xx in 12.2S at all. I know it has some feature gaps.

  If so, assuming that's where we are
> now, and both 12.3M and 12.2SB provide the necessary features, do you
> recommend one over the other (for 7206)?

If you like a staged migration from a code exposure maturity standpoint
you would want to make a incremental move to 12.2(28)SB latest throttle
on CCO and then eventually to 12.2(31)SB.

You may see more consolidation in the future.

Rodney