[c-nsp] 6500 WS-X6748-GE-TX and memory

Ian Cox icox at cisco.com
Tue Mar 27 13:05:59 EST 2007

At 09:59 AM 3/27/2007 -0500, Nick Griffin wrote:
>I see there is an option for the 6748 gig modules for additional memory for
>these cards, up to 1 GB. I'm trying to justify this, does anyone have any
>thoughts on advantages of adding the additional memory that are not apparent
>for me?

The 1G memory option is for use with 3bXLs, to support large FIB
tables that get downloaded to the linecard. The RP builds the FIB
from the Routing Protocols RIBs, it then downloads the table and when
changes occur the changes to the linecard CPU, which keeps a copy of
the FIB, and the linecard CPU programs the FIB entries into hardware
forwarding table. It also holds the software version of the QoS and
Security ACL tables that are programmed into the hardware TCAMs.

Ian