[c-nsp] 6500 WS-X6748-GE-TX and memory

Christoph Loibl c at tix.at
Tue Mar 27 14:49:22 EST 2007

Hi!

On Mar 27, 2007, at 8:01 PM, Ian Cox wrote:

> At 07:28 PM 3/27/2007 +0200, Arnold Nipper wrote:
>> On 27.03.2007 17:51 Nick Griffin wrote
>>
>>> Let me rephrase, assume I have no reason. What would a selling
>>> point be? I
>>> cannot not find any good documentation regarding the memory. What
>>> enhancements does it provide, more CAM entries, things of that
>>> nature.
>>> Perhaps I just need more information on the card, to help
>>> understand the
>>> need for additional memory that what it ships with by default.
>>>

>> IIRC this gives you more buffer for your line card. I.e. you will be
>> able to buffer up to 1 GB worth of traffic.
>
> Not it does not give you more buffering on the line card. The larger
> memory part is for the processor on the line card so it can hold
> large FIB tables.

Do I get this right... The memory is just for the DFC enabled cards?
So why is there such a large amount of memory on the CFC only cards?

There is no special data to store on the CFC line-cards except the
interface queues (which seem to be somehow integrated into the
interface chips)?

I am not really familiar enough with this routers/switches
architecture (but curious - as we plan to put some of those in
various places). Does CFC mean that the whole packets are sent from
line-card to the SUP and if the SUP-Engine decides that it should be
transmitted on a port of the receiving line-card the packet goes over
the backplane a second time? Or is just the header (whatever needed
for the forwarding decision) sent to the SUP-Engine, ... ?

Stoffi