[c-nsp] 7513 T3 Card Question

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed Mar 28 10:44:29 EST 2007

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007, Paul Stewart wrote:

> Thanks Matt & Pete for the answers....
>
> Another question would then become what device(s) are recommended for T1
> aggregation?  I'm looking through Cisco's website and was hoping even on a
> smaller router we could for 4 or 8 T1's and just use smaller routers in
> general ... we *really* want intregrated CSU/DSU ....
>
> Price is an issue of course too... just wondering what others are using
> besides 7513's for this application? ;)

You could load a 7206VXR up with as many PC-MC-8T1 (or newer equivalent)
cards as you need if you need to terminate individual T1s.  The DSU
functionality is built into the cards.  I haven't looked, but I wouldn't
be surprised if you can find these for a reasonable price on the used
market.

If you don't mind older hardware that's nearing end-of-life, a 3640 with
NM-2Ws and T1 WICs will handle 8 T1s without too much trouble in a 2U box.
You'd also probably want one of the NMs to be an NM-1FE-2W.  Again, these
are probably easy to find and very cheap on the used market because the
3640s are nearing end-of-life, if they haven't been EOL'd yet already.

jms