[c-nsp] 7513 T3 Card Question

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Wed Mar 28 15:56:17 EST 2007

Jon Lewis wrote:

> 7206's stuffed with PA-MC-T3 cards and a stack of M13 muxes.
> Other than general IOS stability issues, I don't see why using a spare
> 7513 for this would be a bad idea.  We've tended to have less issues /
> better reliability from our 7206's than from the 7500s we used to run.

As long as the 7206s didn't have full-table BGP, they'd be my preferred
solution for T1 aggregation.  Our 7200s have been absolutely
bulletproof, running continuously between software upgrades.  Our 7500s
are touchy, though less finicky than in years past.  VIP memory errors
seem to bite us every 2-3 months, but we're moving towards VIP4s with
ECC memory and they've all been bulletproof since installation.  We have
a few customers who beg/demand full-table BGP over their T1, so we'll
likely move to 7206s for fractional T1 (full-table BGP not allowed) and
GSRs for full T1, DS3, and OCx aggregation, thereby abandoning the 7500s
completely as time/budget allows.

pt