[c-nsp] 7513 T3 Card Question

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Wed Mar 28 23:25:17 EST 2007

David Coulson wrote:

> Is there any compelling reason to use a VIP4 based card with DS-3? 99%
> of the time you're not pushing full tables (or even tables at all) with
> T1 customers.

ECC memory.  That should be enough said right there.  We sunk 2xCT3 on
Saturday when a VIP2-50 wedged itself.

64MB packet memory, instead of 8MB.  When you've got a 64:1 speed
differential (we use FastE uplinks), TCP can get a little wild before it
adjusts to link capacity.  Accommodating that for 112 T1s can be risky
on 8MB of packet memory.

Someone will inevitably ask for full tables.  Murphy knows us too well.

pt