[c-nsp] 7513 T3 Card Question

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Wed Mar 28 23:31:20 EST 2007

David Coulson wrote:

> You can look at individual VIP CPU usage too however. For example, a
> VIP2-50 with a single PA-MC-T3 (running 28 full DS-1 spans) maxes out at
> 30% and only indicates a 10% average CPU load during business hours. I'd
> think that the CPU usage on the VIP would be dependent only upon PAs on
> the card, rather than the rest of the router.

CPU usage on the VIP is related to the ingress packet rate, and the
features needed to handle those packets.  Once the ACLs are applied, the
FIB lookup is completed, and the packet is dispatched to the egress
interface, very little resources are consumed.

VIPs handling your uplinks could "melt" under attack, since the uplinks
can probably sustain enough PPS to exceed the VIP capabilities.

pt