[c-nsp] OSPF Router ID

Ian MacKinnon ian.mackinnon at lumison.net
Thu Mar 29 03:07:33 EST 2007

Kurt Bales wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> We are migrating our services to a MPLS VPN (on our providers network). We
> are using OSPF to route between the remote sites and the providers VRF. We
> can only seem to get the OSPF sessions to establish if we use the same OSPF
> process ID as our provider, but all the docs I can find suggest that the
> process ID only has context within the local router, and does not propogate
> outside of the router?
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions as to why this might be?

you are right, as far as I can recall, the RFC specs say it is local
only, but I seem to remember that in a MPLS context Cisco do use it.
I can't seem to find why at the moment, but
>From http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=391649&seqNum=2&rl=1
NOTE

If you want all the sites in the VPN to be in the same OSPF autonomous
system, the process ID configured for the VRF on all PE routers must be
the same. Alternatively, use the domain-id command to configure a
consistent domain ID number (by default, the domain ID corresponds to
the OSPF process ID).

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. Any
offers or quotation of service are subject to formal specification.
Errors and omissions excepted.  Please note that any views or opinions
necessarily represent those of Lumison, nplusone or lightershade ltd.
presence of viruses.  Lumison, nplusone and lightershade ltd accepts no

Virus scanned by Lumison.