[c-nsp] Cisco backbone upgrade

Nicolas Visentin visentin at tasfrance.com
Thu Mar 29 11:38:17 EST 2007

Hello,

I have to upgrade my company Internet backbone. It is currently running
with Cisco 7206 with NPE-G1 as Core Routers and Cisco 3550-24 as access
routers to connect my customers (FastEthernet only).
Core routers are running BGP for Internet Transit (full tables) and OSPF
with access routers for internal routing (customers aggregation). Core
routers are currently pushing a maximum of 100 Mbps.
1 of my customers need to upgrade their FastEthernet port in GigE and
the trafic will increase near 1 Gbps in the futur.

I imagined the following two case to support this traffic :

- The first one is to keep the same network topology and upgrade Cisco
7206 with NPE-G2 and 3550-24 with 3550-12G to have a full Gbps backbone
and to be able to provide GigE for my customer

- The second is to replace Cisco 7206 routers by Catalyst 6506 with
Supervisor Engine II / MSFC2 and 16 GigE ports. In this case, I would
use Cisco 7206 routers as transit routers and Cat6506 as Core routers.
7206 would run eBGP with the Internet providers and iBGP with the
Cat6506 to send them Internet routes. Cisco 3550-24 would be directly
connected to the Cat6506 via Gbps uplink and would run OSPF with them
for internal subnets routing. Customers which need GigE port would
directly connected to a Cat 6506.

Which of the above cases seem to be the best ?

The cost of equipment is an important parameters !

thank for your help.

Best Regards,

Nicolas VISENTIN