[c-nsp] Tunnel Interfaces and MTU

Kurt Bales kwbales at kwbales.net
Thu Mar 29 21:39:05 EST 2007

Hey Guys,

We have an arrangement where we have a hub-and-spoke tunnel arrangement in
our network, where a central router is terminating tunnels from remote
locations that are not directly terminated on the WAN. On the tunnel
interfaces we currently have the mtu set to 1400. Should we also be using
mss-adjust to enable the router to compensate for the lower MTU?

Everything I have read on MSS-Adjust indicates its for use with PPPoE, but
will it work for other situations where you need to lower the MTU between
interfaces?

Regards,

Kurt