[c-nsp] NetFlow for Bandwidth Billing

TCIS List Acct listacct at tulsaconnect.com
Wed May 2 01:11:09 EDT 2007

Bill Nash wrote:

> Scope and scale are the two big factors when dealing with netflow
> accounting.
>
> You will need full IP address accounting for your customers, ie knowing
> which customers have been issued which address space.

Got that part covered.

> You will need an understanding of how many flows per second a given
> customer generates.

Not sure on that one.  In general, we aren't pushing much more than 80,000pps
out our transit links at any given time, and traffic on the Ethernet side is
still under gigabit speeds most of the time (excluding backup traffic).  What
specific metrics do I need to consider regarding flows?  I know there are flow
expiry knobs, etc in the config..

> You will need to determine how and where it's possible to aggregate flows
> together, based on the level of detail you need. This can be done at the
> router level[1] or at the analyzer level[2]. Router sourced flow
> aggregation may not work in a colocation environment if you're issuing
> single ip's to different customers in the same subnet. Others may have
> more expertise in this area than I. I couldn't figure out a good way to do
> it, and it was easier (for me) to do on the analyzer side.

Since we only care about accounting for bandwidth that passes in/out of our
borders, we planned to do NetFlow on our Cisco 7206VXR/NPE400 (soon to be -G1 or
-G2, or 6509 with Sup720/3BXL) core routers.  We have some legacy customers on
/32's on the same /24, but most are on their own small subnets.

> [1] Depending on scale and architecture, this may not be healthy for your
> router.
>
> [2] Depending on flow volume and analyzer design, this may require some
> CPU horsepower.

We can throw whatever sized hardware is needed on the NetFlow Analyzer side of
things.

> As for completeness, I've not run into many cases where the flow volume
> wasn't accurate. The netflow capable platform I worked with was c6509 (as
> recently as last year), rocking a Perl analyzer that tossed about ~18k
> flows a minute through Mysql, to the tune of about 400 million flows per
> day, including LAN chatter, on about 8 gigs of egress capacity.

We are nowhere near that on egress capacity, maybe 200-300Mbit at present.

> There is no netflow solution that's perfect for every network, so you'll
> want to do some legwork. Despite my experience, I can't personally
> recommend any particular toolset, since I've always rolled my own. (No, I
> don't currently have a flow analyzer that I can release.)

Our main concern is bytes in/out for billing purposes.  Nothing fancy, but we
will be sending NetFlow streams from 3-4 different core routers which the
NetFlow Analyzer must aggregate and consolidate into a single report per-IP or
per-subnet, depending on the customer.

--Mike