[c-nsp] 7600 Linecard decisision

Peter Basquiat peter.basquiat at googlemail.com
Sun May 6 03:45:38 EDT 2007

Phil, thanks for your answer,

i read that guides but it's hard to channelize this amount of information.

2007/5/6, Phil Bedard <philxor at gmail.com>:

> Take a look at the "PFC QoS" and "MPLS PFC QoS" guides on cisco.com.
>
> The PFC can classify incoming packets based on EXP, .1q CoS, DSCP, or
> IPP.  It uses an "internal DSCP"
> value as an interim value to use for further processing. You can
> create EXP-to-DSCP
> tables to map EXP to the internal DSCP.  When you output on a LAN
> interface with WRR/DWRR you create a
> "DSCP to CoS" table, and then you map a CoS to an output queue and
> WRED threshold.   The PFC can also set
> the EXP value in the outgoing packet as well as IPP, DSCP, or CoS.
> In certain trust modes it will just copy the
> incoming DSCP and EXP on egress.   In short, it does deeper packet
> inspection than just the first L2 header when
> doing QoS, and will probably satisfy  your requirements for MPLS QoS.

Does that mean that the PFC uses the the EXP to DSCP/CoS mapping on
every core router to queue the labeled packet in the right queue?
Or does that mean that it maps the EXP to DSCP/CoS but can only queue
on that value if the label is removed on final LER egress and not in core
where
no imposition/disposition is done?

The Sup720 PFC has 1 priority queue, 4 normal queues and 8 thresholds
> per queue.   One caveat to the priority queue
> on PFC QoS is that it's like a Cat3550/3750/etc. where the priority
> queue is emptied before normal queues, even in
> non-congestion situations...

I thought LLQ behaves exact the same way.

On the SIP400 GigE ports, you get all the fancy queueing methods like
> CBWFQ/LLQ; those ports also
> give you enough memory to buffer up to 200ms line rate.  They also do
> shaping like a WAN port.
> The LAN-based cards aren't anywhere near that, but the cost isn't
> nearly as high.

Yeah, the SIP costs for a few GE ports are very high :-(

Reading your original question, I would probably do the SIP400/OC3
> for the SONET uplink, and unless you really need
> very good QoS, go with the LAN-based WS-xxxx blades for your GigE.
> The ports are very cheap and port-channels work
> well.   The FlexWans have known to be buggy, I'd stay away from those.
>
> Phil

Thanks Phil for your advice.