[c-nsp] IPv6 address set bug?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon May 7 10:05:12 EDT 2007

Hi,

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 04:45:21PM +0300, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
> When installing a 10G interface, we tried copying the ipv6 address from
> the GigaE port:
> ipv6 address 2001:xxx:0:B::1/64
> IOS 12.2(18)SXE6b says:
> 2001:xxx:0:B::1/64 can not be configured on TenGigabitEthernet10/1, in use
[..]
> Is this a feature of ipv6 or a bug?

That seems to be a feature - unlike IPv4, IOS doesn't care whether the
interface is down or not when denying configuration of the same IPv6
address (more precise: an address from the same subnet) on different
interfaces.

I've seen this on 12.2(18)SXF<something> as well.

Makes migrating interfaces a bit more painful than necessary :(

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de