[c-nsp] Shaping by 3550 QoS

Taher Taghizadeh t_taghizadeh at yahoo.com
Tue May 8 06:21:28 EDT 2007

Dear Adrian

As you wrote to me:

... upgrade to 12.2 if you can? Many 3550 bugs are fixed. unfortunately some stuff
which "somewhat works" was removed between 12.1 and 12.2 so check what you're
using before upgrading.

This switch used to work for centuries with even more load and have a good shaper! we've just moved it and everything goes wrong. So i dont think that ios version or SDM template could be the matter.

> !
> class-map match-all customer1-Recv
> match access-group name customer1-RL-Recv
> class-map match-all customer2-Recv
> match access-group name customer2-RL-Recv
> class-map match-all Any
> match access-group 1

You generally don't require that, but ok..

Yes, but i have thought that may be there are some packets that came frome somewhere and try to catchem all (and as you know no good result up to now)

> ip access-list extended customer2-RL-Recv
> permit ip any ll.mm.nn.oo 0.0.0.16

Why 0.0.0.16? That wildcard is almost guaranteed to not be what you want.

OK, i had a mistake here i changed it to 0.0.0.15 :D. but the main problem still exisct.

You're better off saying:

class class-default
police ...

and its not work anyway.

something strange here is this switch counters, They are increament but as you see i used a DSCP value to mark part of my traffic but it alwayes show me zero:

FastEthernet0/9
Ingress
  dscp: incoming   no_change  classified policed    dropped (in bytes)
      60: 0          0          0          0          0
Others: 1619055080 1619055080 0          0          2204972145
Egress
  dscp: incoming   no_change  classified policed    dropped (in bytes)
      60: 0             n/a       n/a      0          0
Others: 2591053830    n/a       n/a      0          0

I knew that countres first increament then the packet goes through the classification and other staff. But even using a complete circle to mark and count the packet for ingress and egress of interface we should see some thnig change doesnt we?

So, whats wrong? why no packet got classified into the policy class?

Thx,
Taher