[c-nsp] NPE-G2 stability for edge/border routing

TCIS List Acct listacct at tulsaconnect.com
Tue May 8 09:32:46 EDT 2007

Hi all,

We're (still) evaluating our options to replace our edge/border routing platform
with something with more growth capacity.  Currently, we have (2)
7206VXR/NPE400's (one at each of our Data Centers) and terminate (2) DS-3's in
one, (1) DS-3 in the other, soon to be (1) DS-3 and (1) OC-3, and (1) DS-3 and
(1) GigE Copper (100M commit to start).  In any case, we're looking hard at a
couple of different options:

- Cisco 7206VXR/NPE-G2
- Cisco 6509 w/Sup2/MSFC2/PFC2 and w/FlexWan (we don't need full tables at
present, and by the time we do, we can likely afford a Sup720/3BXL.  My only
concern here is the performance of the FlexWan (non enhanced) taking a full OC-3)
- Juniper M7i

We are doing BGP, OSPF, and have a few small (<50 entries) ACLs on the WAN
interfaces, and have a GRE tunnel for some inter-DC redundancy.

We are leaning towards the NPE-G2 route, as it will allow us to re-use some of
our existing PA's and we are familiar with the 7200 platform already.  However,
I am concerned with the maturity of the G2.  If anyone is using this at their
edge/border using a similar feature-set, I would be interested to hear your
experience with the G2 with regards to stability.

TIA.

--Mike