[c-nsp] L3 switch with MPLS support

Primoz Jeroncic jp at softnet.si
Thu May 10 08:17:47 EDT 2007

On Thu, 10 May 2007, Phil Mayers wrote:

> Primoz Jeroncic wrote:
> > Hi everyone
> >
> > I'm sorry since this post is not Cisco related, but I hope someone
> > might still have some usefull suggestions.
> >
> > I'm trying to find l3 switch capable of MPLS. Unfortunately
> > for some of our PE locations switches like cat6500 or c3750 metro
> > our way way too much. So I'm trying to find something in range of
> > Cisco 3560 but of course with MPLS support. Does anyone have
> > any suggestions for any other then Cisco product, which would fit
> > into such range?
>
> Buy a small CPU-based router (cisco 2800 or juniper J-series) and cheap
> L2 switch.

Thanks for this suggestion. Currently I use exactly this config (with
c2800 not Juniper), but I'm somehow still hoping for "cheap" 1 or 2u
l3 switch solution, even if not from Cisco.
PS: c6500 is out of question for two reason... one it's too expensive
and even if not (refurbished), it's too big sometimes. In small pops
where we have let's say 10 clients, c6500 is really overkill.

Have fun,
Primoz Jeroncic
Support - IP Connectivity & Routing
Softnet d.o.o.  tel:  +386 1 562 31 40   |
Borovec 2       fax:  +386 1 562 18 55   |       1 + 1 = 3
1236 Trzin      primoz(at)softnet.si     | for larger values of 1
Slovenija       http://flea.softnet.si/