[c-nsp] front-end box to protect wimpy Cisco router from DoS?

Johnson, Richard (NY Int) rjohnson at manfinancial.com
Fri May 11 06:07:49 EDT 2007

Ja

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net <cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net>
To: Ed Ravin <eravin at panix.com>; cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net <cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net>
CC: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net <cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net>
Sent: Fri May 11 03:04:25 2007
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] front-end box to protect wimpy Cisco router from DoS?

Ed Ravin:

> I have an elderly 7200 NPE-225 box on my network that has no
> problem handling normal traffic, but every now and then
> someone sends a DoS attack in its general direction and the
> poor thing is unable to do anything useful

What type of interface(s) connect the 7200 upstream and what traffic
rates & packet types are killing the box?

~Brad

DISCLAIMER: Man Financial Inc ("MFI") is a US registered futures commission merchant and a member of the NFA. Man Securities Inc ("MSI") is a US registered broker-dealer and a
member of the NASD and SIPC. Except as otherwise indicated, references to MFI and MSI also refer to all affiliates of MFI and MSI and to all companies or divisions of companies
that bear the "Man" name and that are owned directly or indirectly by Man Group plc, a company organized under the laws of the United Kingdom (collectively "Man"). Man does not
warrant the correctness of any information herein or the appropriateness of any transaction. The contents of this e-mail communication and any attachments are for informational
purposes only and under no circumstances should they be construed as an offer to sell or a solicitation to buy any futures contract, option, security, or derivative including foreign
exchange. The information is intended solely for the personal and confidential use of the recipient of this e-mail communication. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited and you are requested to return this message to the sender immediately and delete
 all copies from your system. All e-mail may be reviewed by authorized personnel and may be provided to regulatory authorities or others with a legal right to access such information. At
various times, MSI or its affiliates may have positions in and effect transactions in securities or other financial instruments referred to herein. Opinions expressed herein are statements
only of the date indicated and are not given or endorsed by Man unless otherwise indicated by an authorized representative. Due to the electronic nature of e-mails, there is a risk that
the information contained in this message has been modified. Consequently, Man cannot guaranty that messages or attachments are virus free, do not contain malicious code or are
compatible with your electronic systems and Man does not accept liability in respect of viruses, malicious code or any related problems that you may experience. Trading in futures,
securities, options or other derivatives, and OTC products entails significant risks which must be understood prior to trading and may not be appropriate for all investors. Please contact
your account representative for more information on these risks. Past performance of actual trades or strategies cited herein is not necessarily indicative of future performance.
Privacy policy available upon request.