[c-nsp] 3750G Metro - post upgrade, bug or feature?

Afsheen Bigdeli afsheenb at gravityplaysfavorites.net
Sat May 12 14:51:48 EDT 2007

Hello,

I have several 3750G's running the advanced IP services firmware
(c3750-advipservicesk9-mz.122-25.SED.bin). These are all model
WS-C3750G-24TS. I've also got a Metro 3750G with a 10 GE port, model
WS-C3750G-16TD-E, that was formerly in a stack with several 3750G-24TS's.

I've decided to remove the WS-C3750G-16TD-E from the stack and use it as
a standalone. However, as it's now running the advanced IP services
firmware that the 3750G's had, I've found an odd problem: the switch
powers on, passes all self tests, loads IOS; when I log in and configure
it, it functions properly, routes traffic,  and for the most part works
without issue, but I'm unable to do a 'write mem', or anything else that
reads or writes to flash:, as the command bails out with an error.
Fsck'ing flash: has had no effect.

After testing in the lab, I've confirmed that a brand new
WS-C3750G-16TD-E will function properly until it's been upgraded with
this firmware, at which point everything I've tested (ACL's, VLAN's,
static routes, BGP, _everythng) will still work properly, except that
I'll no longer be able to write to flash.

Is there a separate advanced IP services firmware for the Metro 3750's I
should be running, or is this a bug? I'd imagine the former, but if that
were the case, I wouldn't expect the switch to get past rommon, much
less function at all.

Thanks for any input,

--afsheenb