[c-nsp] 3750G Metro - post upgrade, bug or feature?

Afsheen Bigdeli afsheenb at gravityplaysfavorites.net
Mon May 14 17:39:43 EDT 2007

> I haven't dealt with this particular model of 3750 but it does look as
> though it's supported by the same IOS releases as the other 3750 and
> 3750G switches.

Yep. This makes me think I've stumbled upon a bug.

>  > The other thing that stumps me is the odd failure mode. I'd expect the
>  > switch to simply not boot, as opposed to functioning perfectly except
>  > for when access to flash: is required.
>
> This does seem unusual - which other flash: related commands have you
> tried? (sh flash: / copy flash: tftp:)
> Also what are the exact errors you're receiving?

When I try to write mem initially after an upgrade:

test#wr mem
Building configuration...

nv_done: unable to open "flash:/config.text.new"
nv_done: unable to open "flash:/private-config.text.new"[OK]
NVRAM Verification Failed
cdg-tis-sw1#fsck flash:
Fsck operation may take a while. Continue? [confirm]
flashfs[1]: 358 files, 5 directories
flashfs[1]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories
flashfs[1]: Total bytes: 23224320
flashfs[1]: Bytes used: 15832576
flashfs[1]: Bytes available: 7391744
flashfs[1]: flashfs fsck took 13 seconds.
Fsck of flash:: complete

Hmm. Odd. Let's fsck flash and then try it...

test#wr mem
Building configuration...

i28f128j3_16x_write_bytes: command sequence error
flashfs[1]: writing to flash handle 0x261CD80, device 0, offset
0xD40000, length 0x208: Operation Failed
flashfs[1]: sector ptr: {0x6A, 0xFB}
nv_done: unable to open "flash:/config.text.new"
i28f128j3_16x_write_bytes: command sequence error
flashfs[1]: writing to flash handle 0x261CD80, device 0, offset
0x5C0000, length 0x208: Operation Failed
flashfs[1]: sector ptr: {0x2E, 0xC6}
nv_done: unable to open "flash:/private-config.text.new"
i28f128j3_16x_write_bytes: command sequence error
flashfs[1]: writing to flash handle 0x261CD80, device 0, offset
0x5C0000, length 0x208: Operation Failed
flashfs[1]: sector ptr: {0x2E, 0xC4}
flashfs[1]: filesystem marked down.  Use "fsck" to recover.[OK]
NVRAM Verification Failed

And that's what I see no matter what I try to do from thatpoint on.

> It's probably worth trying an upgrade to a different release and
> if the problem remains, refer it to the TAC - unless someone else here
> has any useful input.

Agreed. Last try: anyone seen this behavior before or have anything to
contribute?

Thanks,
--afsheenb