[c-nsp] MP-BGP, ORF with VPNv4

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Wed May 16 02:44:39 EDT 2007

Denis V. Schapov <> wrote on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 2:21 PM:

> Hi.
>
> Does Cisco IOS support automatic ORF based on extended-community
> attribute (route target) for MP-BGP/VPNv4 IP sessions/prefixes
> between PE routers and Route Reflectors in MPLS VPN environment ?
> I mean RFC 4364, RFC 4684 cooperative route filtering, when PE/RRs
> don't send UPDATES for VPNv4 prefixes to PEs which have no VPN/VRF
> associated with some route-targets.
> Could you point to documentation or white paper ?

ORF based on extended-communities is not supported, not sure if/when
it's coming.

When you change the RT import policy on a PE (add a vrf, add a RT import
statement), the PE will trigger a route-refresh to its vpnv4 neighbors
(i.e. the RR) to have them re-send their routes.
Do you have scalability issues to solve here?

tx,
	oli