[c-nsp] Why it won't route vlan 1 ?

Tim Franklin tim at pelican.org
Wed May 16 05:01:07 EDT 2007

On Tue, May 15, 2007 7:57 pm, Gert Doering wrote:

> The 8540 is more a "router" type device (well, routing bolted onto an
> ATM switch or so) - the 6500/7600 is an "ethernet switch" device, with
> some of the good sides of it (cheap & fast & can do nice tricks with
> etherchannels etc.) and some of the drawbacks (global vlan space, not
> per-interface).

Isn't this defined based on the type of card?  ISTR it being one of the
differences between the 'LAN' and 'WAN' cards (OSMs as was, SIPs +
appropriate SPAs now, I guess) - along with different QoS, shaping /
policing, counters...

Depending on the number of ports needed, a GE "WAN" card might work out
cheaper than a separate 7200 or re-engineering the network.

Regards,
Tim.