[c-nsp] BFD on 12.2(33)

Saku Ytti saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi
Wed May 16 06:03:13 EDT 2007

On (2007-05-16 10:20 +0200), Geir Jensen wrote:

> > Does anyone have any experience with BFD on 12.2(33)SR?
> > We have troubles with BFD in a mixed 12.2(18)SXF7 and 12.2(33)SRB environment.
> > BFD will occasionally toggle our 10G interfaces  when we do "write mem" or shut/no shut, and I'd like to verify that the problem is caused  by the routers running 12.2(18)SXF7.  If so I can upgrade all routers to 12.2(33)SRB. Otherwise I'll have to consider running ospf fast hello.

That sounds bad, but eg. BFD going down on massive BGP event just 'happens'
on 7600 at the moment, I believe some scheduling work is needed from CSCO
side. Only thing I got from TAC was to reduce 'process-max-time x' so that
watchdog will mark processes for suspend/ready sooner. I think default
is 200ms, reduce it to minimum and see if it helps.
I personally ended up not using BFD, I argue it's implement incorrectly.
Technically in all modern cards in 7600/6500 it could be ran distributedly
in linecard CPU's, which might make the issue bit better, but then of
course there is concern if LC<->RP livelyness detection is as it should be,
so that you wouldn't end up having BFD up while RP and LC are not
communicating.

--
  ++ytti