[c-nsp] Multicast source question

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri May 18 05:57:39 EDT 2007

Michael Robson wrote:
> anything similar to the following? We have a core of 6500s running sup720s
> with native IOS version 12.2(18)SXD4. When a server sources a multicast
> stream (we have seen this on 2 of our 6500s so far), captures show that the
> stream corrective passes through the cisco WS-C2970G-24TS-E switch towards
> the 6500, but as soon as it enters the 6500 (this 6500 can be the server's
> gateway or just passing the traffic at layer 2 to another 6500), all ports
> that are a member of the same VLAN as the server receive the traffic, almost
> as if IGMP snooping is turned off or broken. I have shown that IGMP snooping
> is enabled using the slightly convoluted command (as per Cisco docs) "sh ip
> igmp int vlan 404 | inc global". The command gives
>
> "IGMP snooping is globally enabled"

There's a whole bunch of stuff to try.

First, what's the group IP? It isn't in 224.0.0.0/24 by any chance?

Figure out the multicast L2 MAC then do:

sh mac-addr multi vlan X igmp

...which will show the FDB entries for IGMP-created multicast MACs. On
the 6500s which are at layer2, you will want to look at:

sh ip igmp snooping mrouter vlan X

...to check that the process I described is working. On the 6500s at L3
examine:

sh ip igmp group group.ip.add.r
sh ip igmp member group.ip.add.r

I'd also recommend an upgrade to the latest SXF code if you can.