[c-nsp] home connection and lab question?

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Mon May 21 10:16:52 EDT 2007

Scott Granados wrote:
> What Cisco gear would folks suggest for a home lab that's reasonably priced
> (Ebay, what ever) but with enough functionality to be useful?  Also, for
> connectivity for such a lab would a basic higher tier Cable work or is it
> worth the extra bucks for a T1 / multi-megabit fixed wireless / higher speed
> DSL?  Any pointers would be appreciated.

Is there any specific area of the networking world that you want to get
in to?  Generally-speaking the last major product line is usually fairly
cheap on eBay.  For example you can pick up a loaded Cat550x for under a
couple hundred if you have a need to run CatOS.  For about the same
price you can build out a good 8500.  The 7500s have significantly
dropped in price recently as well.  I'm currently working on picking up
a couple 7500s myself.  Generally-speaking I've found that the larger
items are usually avoided by most eBay buyers.  The cost for the smaller
more manageable devices tends to bring quite a bit more.  Look at the
cost of a 2800 vs that of a loaded 7500.  The 2821's mounting brackets
are bringing more than my last 5505.

Justin