[c-nsp] VPNv4 AFI Editing Causes BGP Failure

Mark Tinka mtinka at africaonline.co.zw
Mon May 21 10:25:43 EDT 2007

Hello all.

I've experienced, on more than one occasion, a situation where
editing the VPNv4 address family under MP-BGP causes running
BGP sessions to flap. Specifically, this occurs when I add
new MP-iBGP neighbors to the configuration of the router in
question.

I've experienced this on 12.3(22) as well as 12.4T (forget the
actual train). Boxes tested were 7206-VXR and 2600XM.

This only appears to affect the VPNv4 AFI. Editing of the IPv4
and IPv6 AFI's does not reproduce this issue.

Has anyone else seen this? Does it signify anything
operationally meaningful MPLS/VPN's?

Cheers,

Mark.