[c-nsp] VoIP without QoS

Lasher, Donn DLasher at newedgenetworks.com
Tue May 22 14:19:11 EDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
[mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Lamar Owen
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] VoIP without QoS

On Tuesday 22 May 2007, Nassess, George wrote:
> I am in the process of extending our distributed VoIP call center to a
> partner company, and their networking staff are extremely adamant that
> they do not wish to implement QoS on their remote LAN, the DS3 link that
> the voice traffic will traverse, or the core LAN in our shared
> datacenter.

To oversimplify, if there's no congestion, VOIP w/o QoS will function fine
in most cases.. It's why companies like Vonage have loads of customers over
the internet with zero QoS. I've deployed Cisco-based VOIP on circuits w/o
QoS until IOS upgrades/hardware upgrades/etc could be completed. It mostly
worked, most of the time...

However, at the first hints of congestion, UDP packets, which is where most
voice payloads reside, and which don't have the benefits of TCP retrans/etc
handling, will start dropping on the floor. Voice calls flange, chunk, chop,
and drop.

As an aside, I'd be concerned about a networking group unwilling to
implement any form of QoS on a WAN circuit, especially to support a call
center... but that's just me...